The Australian Dental Association has its roots beginning in 1884, with the founding of the Odontological Society of Victoria (OSV).
In 1920, the OSV amalgamated with the Australian College of Dentistry Alumni Society. In November 1916, the Australian College of Dentistry Alumni Society merged with the Dental Graduates Society of Victoria. At the Annual Meeting of the amalgamated societies, held in November 1922, the name was changed to the State Dental Society of Victoria.
At a meeting of delegates from the five state societies, held at Canberra on 19 June 1928, the Australian Dental Association was formed.
At a meeting of the State Dental Society of Victoria, held on 20 November 1928, it was decided that the society should become the Victorian Branch of the Australian Dental Association, and thereafter the society should be known as the Australian Dental Association Victorian Branch (ADAVB).
The ADAVB originally occupied a one-person office in the T&G Building, Collins Street, Melbourne before moving to 49 Mathoura Road, Toorak in 1955 (pictured).
In 2008, The ADAVB moved to its current home, Level 3, 10 Yarra Street, South Yarra.
Since its inception, the ADAVB’s services and support to members has increased. Examples of services introduced include the following:
- Began providing continuing professional development (2009)
- Launched eviDent Foundation (2011)
- Began assisting members with enterprise bargaining agreement negotiations (2012)
- Introduced Practice Plus in anticipation of dental practice accreditation (2012).