10 January 2020
Getting support during a crisis
During times of crisis – like we are experiencing with the bushfires – it’s important to look after yourself and know what support is available.
The bushfires burning across Australia have forced many people to evacuate their homes and businesses, and hundreds of properties have been destroyed.
We are saddened by the tremendous devastation and loss these communities are facing. The emotional toll of this crisis is immeasurable. Impacts on health and safety have also been significant, and the longer-term economic impact in these communities is likely to be felt for some time.
We have contacted dentists in affected areas. If your practice has been affected by the bushfires, please contact the ADAVB on 8825 4600 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reach out for support
The LifeWorks Member Assistance Program is available to members in need of support in relation to these events. The Crisis Support Line is open 24 hours, seven days a week, and can be reached on 1300 361 008.
LifeWorks has also developed a range of support resources. These member-only fact sheets include strategies for coping with reactions to stress and anxiety.
Download your support resources:
- Overcoming emotional mental and physical exhaustion
- Managing distressing fire reports
- Taking care of yourself after a bushfire
- Managing feelings of grief and loss
- Managing worry during bushfire season
- Supporting your family following a bushfire
- Talking with your workmates or friends
- Managing your recovery four weeks on from a bushfire
- Helping young children manage fear or anxiety
- Helping older adolescents manager fear or anxiety
- Managing significant anniversaries